Great Horkesley Cricket Club
ALL ABOUT THE CLUB:
Newspaper archival evidence suggests that Great Horkesley had a cricket team as far back as 1861 playing at Horkesley Park, occasionally combining with the neighbouring village of Nayland. The current incarnation of the team was formed at The Rose & Crown Pub in 1975 and has continued to represent the village ever since.
After many years of continued growth and relative success, the club agreed a merger with Lexden Cricket Club in 2014. The new club - named Great Horkesley & Lexden Cricket Club - now playing playing games on a Sunday afternoon.
The club currently has a team in Division Three of the North Essex Cricket League and play at Mile End Playing Fields. Nicknamed 'The Saxons', we have around twenty-five regular playing members of all abilities, and pride ourselves on making everyone welcome. We are a social club who like to win - but for us, it is more important to play and enjoy ourselves. It also helps that our teas are regarded as amongst the finest in the League!
For many years, the club played at The Chantry, but the ground and pavilion require significant investment. The hope of the current committee and players is to return back to the village soon- though now based at Mile End, we are but a few hundred metres away.
You can find out more information about Great Horkesley & Lexden Cricket Club via our website www.gh-lcc.co.uk or via twitter @HorksLexCC