Great Horkesley & Lexden Cricket Club
Newspaper archival evidence suggests that Great Horkesley had a cricket team as far back as 1861 playing at Horkesley Park, occasionally combining with the neighbouring village of Nayland. The current incarnation of the team was formed at The Rose & Crown Pub in 1975 and has continued to represent the village ever since. After many years of continued growth and relative success, the club agreed a merger with Lexden Cricket Club in 2014. The new club - named Great Horkesley & Lexden Cricket Club - plays games on Sunday afternoons.
The club currently has a team in Division Three of the North Essex Cricket League and play at Mile End Playing Fields. Nicknamed 'The Saxons', they have around twenty-five regular playing members of all abilities, and pride themselves on making everyone welcome. They are a social club who like to win, but playing and enjoyment come first. It helps that the afternoon teas are regarded as amongst the finest in the League!
For many years, the club played at The Chantry, but the ground and pavilion require significant investment. The hope of the current committee and players is to return back to the village from Mile End which is a few hundred metres away.